15 February 2010

Hash Browns

Breakfast is my favorite meal. I love cooking breakfast! I had some people over for brunch today and made hash browns, which I haven't made in a while. They take a while and it's best to make them for a group, I think. I have made them a few ways before, and I think this is the easiest way to make them. The onions in this recipe will obviously cook much faster than potatoes and will turn crunchy and delicious! This recipe makes about 4 servings.

Ingredients:
2 large baking potatoes (or any other combination of potatoes that is about that much quantity), chopped into 1/2 inch cubes (you can make them larger, but they will take longer to cook)
1/2 medium onion, diced
~4 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1.5 tsp kosher salt and 10 twists of pepper)
1 Tbsp potato starch (optional, this helps it get a little crunchier on the bottom. you can probably substitute corn starch but I don't know! you don't need the starch)

Directions:
1. Toss potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, potato starch, other spices and ~2 Tbsp oil (enough to cover everything) in a bowl.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in the largest flat bottomed skillet you have over medium heat. I think a cast iron skillet works best because it gets nice and hot and helps facilitate a nice crunchy texture on the bottom, but if you don't have one, any skillet will do.
3. Pour potato mixture into skillet and spread out evenly over the whole skillet, press with a flipping spatula.
4. Let cook for 5 minutes.
5. Flip over all the potatoes, cook another 5 minutes.
6. Keep flipping/cooking until almost all of the potatoes look crunchy, usually 15-20 minutes.

This goes well with salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream, sriracha (or other hot sauces), parmesan cheese, ketchup (ew! I hate ketchup! but other people don't...) or anything else you like on your potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment