10 May 2010

Quick carrot bread

A kilo of carrots here is about 200 pesos, or 40 cents. So this one time, I asked the farmer guy at the market for 3 carrots, and he gave me 3 kilos, and refused to take them back. This actually inspired in me a love of carrots, because for a good long while, I was eating them every day and discovering new things to do with them.

I based this off this recipe, which is the best carrot bread recipe I've found.

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups finely grated raw carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.

Beat eggs and add sugar and oil. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and add to egg mixture.

Beat well. Add carrots, nuts and raisins. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and pour in batter.

Bake one hour.



My alterations were:
2 - 2.5 cups carrots
Fresh-grated ginger, about two tablespoons, added with the carrots
I used about a cup whole-wheat flour instead of white
Less sugar than is called for - quick breads are so often over-sweetened!
Extra nutmeg and a pinch of ground cloves

Doing these made it less of a sweet dense carrot cake and more of a quick bread, savory yet sweet.

Enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee on a chilly day!

NB: My battery charger is out of commission, and I'll probably have to wait until next month's paycheck to get a new one... no pictures for this month!

*Hey everyone who's writing in this journal - I know we all like writing, and reading the other recipes. Would anyone else be in for trying out making other people's recipes in the way you would cook it and posting those? I think it'd be neat to see what people do with some of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment