13 March 2010

Fried Tofu

After my disastrous results with frying tofu, I have been determined to get it right. Bekkah gave me some tips, and I planned on trying her technique when I was getting things ready for sushi. But then I found these instructions for dry-frying tofu, and decided this is what I wanted.


This method of frying tofu uses no oil, and the end product is pleasantly chewy. Most of the moisture is cooked out of the tofu, so it is perfect for soaking up marinades, and sturdy enough to withstand some vigorous stir-fry action. Here's how to do it:


Drain a block of tofu (not silken!) and slice it up, then place the slices on a towel for a few minutes. Meanwhile, get out your most non-stickiest non-stick pan and heat it on a medium-low setting. A good non-stick surface is very important, since you won't be using any oil, and the low heat is important for the moisture to cook out of the tofu before it gets too crispy.


Place the tofu slices on the pan in a single layer – you will probably have to work in batches. Cook until the tofu is light brown and slightly crispy, pressing down on it fairly frequently with your spatula. Repeat on the other side. Remove from heat.


Now your tofu is ready to be tossed into a stir fry, soaked in a marinade, or whatever else your soy-loving heart desires.


For my sushi, I made a simple marinade with ½ cup of soy sauce, a splash of vinegar, and three cloves of minced garlic. Once the tofu had been soaking in that for a while, I cut it up into slivers for sushi filling. Easy as pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment