07 April 2010

Lazy Chicken Curry


I'm calling this lazy curry because all the curry recipes I found online took hours and hours of work, a lot more pots and saucepans than I have on hand, and a lot more than I was willing to put in. So I took the ingredients typically called for and made my own recipe. This can easily be made vegetarian by subtracting the chicken steps.

Ingredients:

Two large onions
Four tomatoes
Five medium-sized potatoes
Four carrots
One large chicken breast
Two and a half cups garbanzos, soaked overnight then boiled until soft, then drained
Three cups yogurt, plain
Curry powder (I used about 3/4 cup, but I think it's stronger here.)
Three cloves garlic
Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
Salt and pepper
Pinch aji (like paprika, only more spicy. I've always called it aji, but I don't know then English.)
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch safron

Chop the onions, tomatoes, potatoes, chicken, and carrots. Cut the garlic cloves up tiny.

Saute the onions and garlic on low in olive oil (1-2 tablespoons, no more) until the onions are cooked but not carmelized.

Add the potatoes, carrots, and spices to the onions and garlic, and add just enough water to cover. Let boil until the potatoes and carrots are soft.

While these are boiling, lightly saute the chicken pieces in vegetable oil, curry, and a bit of salt. Saute only until cooked, not until browned, so they are still tender.

Add the chicken and tomatoes to the potatoes-onions mix, and let cook for about five minutes to soften the chicken and tomatoes and let the spices set in. If it's not spicy enough for you, here's the point to add more curry/spices.

Before all the garbanzoes are in:



Add the garbanzoes. It's best if there's not enough water to cover it all at this point.

Add the yogurt. Let simmer about three minutes.

Serve over white rice. I found these instructions to work perfectly for sticky-white rice.

Enjoy with white or red wine and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment