based off of this recipe
The original recipe calls these yam brownies. I still don't know the difference between yams and sweet potatoes. I don't really care. I am sure the difference is subtle and it doesn't really matter which you use in the recipe! But I would suggest using whatever is labeled a sweetest! These are more of a fall food I guess, but it was my friend's birthday the other day and she requested these brownies! I've made them a few times before and they are always a big hit. The brownies are super moist thanks to the sweet potato. You need to let them cool completely (several hours) before trying to cut them. If you try to cut them while warm, they will just smush together and cut like they are undercooked. The first time I made them, I tried to cut them a few minutes out of the oven, thought they weren't cooked and kept putting them back in the oven to cook more (a total of about 30 minutes more!!) until I just gave up. I think adding the spices is really important for the flavor, but you could adjust them if you prefer.
1 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
2 cups peeled and finely shredded sweet potatoes (or yams!), about 1 large or 2 small potatoes
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugars in a large bowl.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Beat in vanilla.
5. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
6. Mix flour mixture into creamed mixture.
7. Fold sweet potatoes into batter and mix fully.
8. Spread batter into greased pan.
9. Bake for 30 minutes. The toothpick test doesn't really work. The brownies are done when the middle only gives a little when pressed with your finger. Don't worry too much about being 5 minutes under or overcooked.
10. While the brownies are making, mix the last 5 ingredients together.
11. As soon as you take the brownies out of the oven, pour the glaze on and spread with a brush (or spoon).
12. Cool completely and then cut. Serve warm with ice cream if you want to be indulgent!